Sunday, August 21, 2005

The Priesthood: Reloaded

The catholic church is using this poster to promote the idea of the priesthood. Get it? Neo was a hero that fought against evil. You to can be a hero fighting against evil. The first problem I see here is that Neo was a messianic Jesus figure. He was worshipped and revered for his untold power. Considering the church's recent issues with looking too much like NAMBLA, do they really want to relate priesthood to a figure worthy of praise and awe. First that gives the priest too much power over the child. Second, that's worshipping false idols. Isn't that one of their sins or something. "If we can get kids to hang a picture of a priest in their room, we've done something huge" said father Meyer, the man who put this idea into motion. I agree with that, but not in a good way. When I was younger I put pictures of Pam Anderson on my wall. If I walked into a kids room and they had pictures of priests on their wall, that's a sign. What's next, a priest with a lightsaber, a priest dressed as Frodo?

Link to article
Via Cinematical